From one of my very favourite fragrance experts Mr James Craven of Les Senteurs…
1. “Palms of the hands carry perfume very tenaciously – delicately scent all you touch, like a pagan goddess.” Oh don’t ya just love him!?
2. “Like an ancient Greek courtesan you can wear a different scent on different parts of the anatomy. Choose complementary scents: rose at the throat, lavender on the wrists, a woody chypre on your hair. This works well and keeps you aware of your perfume but isn’t as risky or extravagant as mixing scents all at once.”
3. “Hair is an excellent carrier, if clean. Spritz all over for a perfumed cloud. Waft scent as you toss your head rebelliously. Some even coquettishly apply perfume to the eyebrows.” Delicious!
4. “Ankles + knees: do as the French and dab behind the knee and on the ankle bone. Scent rises upwards to create exotic effect.” Enticing eh!?
5. ”Go seasonal: try “hot” scents in hot weather – ambers, tuberoses, spicy rose bloom to advantage in the hot weather that bred them.” Or anytime I say!
6. “For winter, try above all to match the scent with your colours + fabrics: go for perfume that complements cashmere, velvet, fur + red, black, indigo, violet, gold. Orientals, chypres: smooth, dense, deep scents. Keep off fresh florals. Use gourmands for reassurance + emotional nurture.”
7. “If you’re keen on layering, then layer! But leave off the actual liquid perfume to acheive a more subtle effect.” says James. “Just use the cream, gel + deo…or whatever. Either combined…or using just one item. Wear slightly less than more. Lighter = more transparent = elusive…
8. Finally – with gift giving imminent, James says “If you’re given a scent you hate…give the scent a fair chance! Try it by degrees: it can be an adventure and just the push you need to discover a whole new chapter in your fragrance-life. A kind person has blown maybe £100 on you: try to understand the scent…as you might a new book, picture etc. Don’t rush into immediate denial.” If it really doesn’t work on your skin, you may find that you like it more when worn on your clothes, on a scarf, gloves or on your pillow.
Dear James….love your mind x